Friday 13 July 2007

Pretty but poisonous


When I first saw this plant a month ago, I wrongly tied it in with the jerusalem artichokes, as early on the leaves looked quite similar. But gradually the leaves became darker and more nettle-like and today they suddenly produed these amazing, tiny orchid-looking flowers in white and pink. I'm pretty sure it's a common hemp nettle, which is described as 'poisonous, can cause paralysis' so pretty as it is, I think the ones that are close enough to be within reach of tiny hands will probably have to go.


In the last few weeks I've been constantly delighted by the 'weeds' and random plants that are appearing out of nowhere. One such delight is this poppy, which unfurled yesterday in the sunshine, and was promptly rained upon this afternoon, so that must have been a bit of a shock for the poor thing.


One of the things I like about the allotment is the fact that hours can pass without me even realising, and it's just the distant rumble of my stomach that reminds me it's time for a lunch break. But, as I haven't worn a watch for years, I have no idea of the time at all and sometimes, just sometimes, I need to be somewhere. After all, I don't have to look at it ;) This lovely clock, which we've just put on the shed, also tells the temperature on the back, so we'll see if it reaches any dizzy heights this summer - like 70 degrees....

No comments: