Sunday 6 January 2008

Snow has fallen


The allotment looked beautiful on Friday morning, covered in a white blanket of fresh white snow, imprinted only with small bird and fox prints (until I trampled all over it with my size 5s, of course, and ruined the peaceful scene). Unfortunately, it lasted a mere day, with one of the fastest thaws I've seen in a while - from a few inches to nothing in just a few hours.

As everything was buried under the snow, my plans for laying a bit more mulch and manure collecting were put on hold, so I gave the polytunnel a good clear out instead, turning out the plants that had given up the ghost after the cold spell and also creating a make-shift curtain for one of the mesh doors.

This has already made a real difference to the temperature (it's now an average of two degrees warmer than outside rather than actually colder!) and stops the wind blowing straight in, but still allows enough airflow inside as the more sheltered door at the other end has just mesh on the top.

1 comment:

penny said...

hi my name is penny. my dad has the garden nx to the hop garden. he help you when you needit him..