Friday 23 May 2008

Hop to it


Some visitors to the site have asked for a bit more information about how to grow hops, and although I'm by no means an expert, I'll attempt to share what I've learned so far.

To begin with, a strong structure which they can climb up is essential. It doesn't have to be huge pole and wire systems as seen in Kent's fields: I've got poles about 12ft high, (mine are dwarf hops which will rarely go over 15ft so they'll be ok at this height) with a simple hook and eye wire system. You need to be able to safely reach as many of the hops as possible, which is another reason for keeping it within a sensible height.


Two wires for each plant start from the ground, fanning out in a 'V' formation, which allows more air to get to the hops and encourages them to grow in opposite directions. I've also got wires running horizontally, so the hop bines can also run across when they get to a certain height.


I planted the rhizomes (dormant root piece of the hop plant) in early spring last year, a few feet apart on a small mound of earth/compost/manure, giving the hole a good sprinkle of blood, fish and bone. As we get frosts pretty late here (we had two last week!) I keep an eye on the young shoots, covering them with fleece if the temperature dips.

In the autumn, I cut all the old plants down, added alpaca manure, and covered them with fleece for the winter. I let them go a bit wild last year to get established, but this year I've just chosen two of the healthiest shoots for each wire.

Hops like a lot of water and they will soon wilt to show they're not happy in a drought. We didn't have too much trouble with that last year as it was so wet, but I've buried a soaker hose just under the surface so I can give them a slow, steady water this summer if they need it. I've also mulched them with the over-wintering sheep fleece to keep the moisture in.


Elsewhere on the allotment, things are speeding up, and the chicks (above, now three weeks old) are out on one of the beds with strict instructions to eat all the weeds within a fortnight.

Peter and I planted some turnips, chard, spinach, onions and spring onions in one of the high raised beds and the 'living salads' I've grown for the plant sale look great; I hope they fly off the staging later this afternoon at our plant sale as I desperately need the space!

No comments: