Saturday 21 June 2008

Bird on a wire


Far from being a balmy June here in the North East, it's a blinkin' cold one: last check on the barometer read a measly 9.4 degrees...and to add to the joy, it's tipping down, and has been pretty much solidly for about the last seven hours.

So, what's a girl to do but tidy up in the polytunnel? The sweet peas are now in a container (not going to risk them outside, they'd probably curl up and die) and I've transplanted nearly all the lettuces into the border soil, as well as tying in all the tomato plants and pinching out their side shoots.

The weather was a little better yesterday, and Alan, Jimmy and I made a start on the chicken run fencing (above and below). Apparently, I won't be receiving my NVQ in hammering or stapling anytime soon.


Before the rains came, the chickens had a wander around the allotment, while I transplanted some broccoli plants. They like to weed around the edges, which is fine by me, but they do occasionally have a quick nibble at something else (like the pea shoots the cockerel has his eye on in the photo below) so they have to be supervised.


They're getting pretty good at following me around as I work now, and had me in stitches yesterday when they flew/ran/flapped like mad things towards me when I shook their corn pot.

The state of the paths is still getting me down (the pictures show how rough and weedy it's getting), and I was hoping to get the weed burner out today but obviously the weather had other plans. It's going to be a real challenge to get them ready for top dressing at the end of the week, but I'm determined to do it.

Of course, if a proper membrane was put down as I was promised, it would be in a much better state, but that's another story....

No comments: