Sunday 9 November 2008

Time to take stock


It's been a strange growing season this year: the late frosts in Spring finished off a few of the plants which had dared to risk some new shoots and the windy/wild/wet conditions that seemed to come and go for most of this year have certainly not helped the situation.

Still, a brief Indian summer did raise the spirits a little, and the late sunshine managed to ripen a few squashes and courgettes (a selection pictured above) - grown undercover of course! I'm thinking of making a mini polytunnel in the brick foundations of the former greenhouse (which blew away one winter long before I had the allotment) for squashes next year, as they tend to take over the polytunnel and the poor tomatoes struggle to regain some space.

I sat out on the shed step this morning as the sun struggled to break through the clouds, listening to the memorial service on the radio. It seemed fitting somehow to spend the two minute silence outdoors as it's where I tend to do most of my thinking. Even the chickens respected the occasion - ruffling up their feathers and puffing out like little proud soldiers standing to attention for the Last Post.

Most of the bulbs - 75 bluebells and snowdrops so far - have been planted in the orchard and I've dug over most of the ground around the hazel tree outside ready for some more bluebells, wood anemones and maybe the odd crocus. That's the trouble this time of year - very few volunteers mad enough to be outside in the cold, so it tends to fall to me to to these jobs. Still, I don't mind as it gets me out in the fresh air, but planting dozens of bulbs on your own can get a little monotonous...

Time to get some manure in the beds soon, and I may even try some broad beans as I've yet to do so and one of the other allotment holders has inspired me to have a go.

No comments: