Friday 21 September 2007

Along came a spider


It's back to reality after a two week break, with a rather damp working day in the garden. Time for Paul to tidy the shed while I took on the tomatoes, taking out most of the leaves that were dying back and pinching out any flowers. It's unlikely that the green tomatoes will do much now, so they're destined for the chutney pot.

David joined Paul and I to peel the outer layers from the onions, which had been lifted a few weeks back and were drying in the polytunnel after being out in the sun on a wire rack for a few days. Peeling helps to reduce the likelihood of diseases spreading through the onion and they keep longer as well.

The spider above, which I think is a female Garden Spider, is the biggest one I've seen in a while, and was hanging out among the tomatoes ready to surprise me as I took out the green ones.


The sun broke through the rain clouds for a few hours this afternoon, so I made the most of the fine weather to cut down the fruited canes of the summer fruiting raspberries to ground level, tie in this year's new canes, and weed around the roots.

The Julia variety, which is a great option for organic growing due to its disease resistance, has done really well, and its growth this year is head and shoulders above the Malling Jewel's.

No comments: