Thursday 27 September 2007

Harvest festival


It was High Spen Primary School's Harvest Festival this morning and I was asked if I would mind taking part (I'm not sure there was a lot of choice involved actually, as I was handed my lines at the same time!)

It's been a while since I've sat in a school assembly and, despite being a fair few feet taller than I was then, I still felt like I could be in trouble at any point. This is strange, as I was always very well behaved at school (as opposed to at Brownies, where I went a bit wild, but I'm digressing now). It might have been linked to the fact that I was told to sit on a blue 'naughty' bench, just a few inches from the floor, which is enough to make anyone feel small and a little mischievous.

I'm going to sound really old now, but they really don't sing those old harvest songs anymore, it's all very trendy stuff. What happened to 'We plough the fields and scatter?' - I loved that one!

I was pleased with the display of produce from the garden (see above) as I took a while arranging it for the display even though it's all going to be divided before being delivered to elderly people in the village. I just hope they realise that the hops are just for decoration as someone could have a nasty surprise if they try to eat those off the vine.

Despite not knowing the words to any of the songs and fluffing my lines (more rehearsal needed) it was an enjoyable morning, especially watching the five-year-olds with their scarecrow dance, which was adorable.

I forgot to mention on the last post that we've been successful in our bid to O2 for a grant to clear up the land outside the allotment and create a wildlife corridor where there is currently fly tipping and dog mess. This project will keep us busy over the winter months and I'm especially looking forward to planting a native hedge along the border of the plot as I've been looking for a suitable location for ages.

No comments: