Monday 15 October 2007

Sweet dreams


The hops have been pretty good considering it's their first year, and I've been harvesting a few bines to dry in the airing cupboard which I hope to turn into hop pillows at some point. Hops are often used to treat insomnia, and I did have trouble getting out of bed this morning actually, but it may be due to the fact that it's Monday rather than the fumes from the cupboard making me sleepy....


The wildflowers on the allotment have had a new lease of life after the brief warm spell we've been experiencing over the past week or so and the bees are making the most of them while they're still around (below).


On Friday Peter and I managed to clear most of the weeds out of the high raised beds and at the weekend Paul gave me a hand removing all the straw he'd laid down only a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it's yet another slug haven we've created - despite being a great weed suppressor - so it had to go.

I've cleared some space in the polytunnel as the courgette plants were coming to an end, so the kale has now been transplanted into that end of the bed (with a layer of wood ash around them in the vain hope it may deter marauding molluscs).

The newly-transplanted spring cabbages are now tucked in with a blanket of Suffolk Down sheep fleece, which I'll write more about (with pictures) later this week.

No comments: