Monday 21 April 2008

Random rhubarb moments


I've grown rhubarb in my garden for many years, but never seen anything like this, which has recently appeared on the Victoria and Champagne varieties in the garden. Seems like they've decided, at a pretty young age and strange time of year, to flower and set seed. Takes all sorts I guess.

Friday was another damp and miserable day weather-wise, so it was a case of braving out the elements in the sanctuary of the polytunnel. Peter and I managed to sow several trays of lettuce in preparation for our salad boxes/trays at an upcoming plant sale, along with three different types of leek which I hope will see us through most of the year.

We also sowed French beans in toilet rolls - perfect deep root trainers as you can plant them complete without disturbing the roots, they'll eventually rot down, and they don't cost a penny (no toilet jokes there, please).


This young plant is supposed to be an aubergine. I've had varying success raising these from seed over the years (in fact, I've never had fruit) but I thought I'd try again and give them a little more attention this time. I still have a sneaking suspicion though that I'm lavishing a lot of loving care and attention on a dock.

No comments: