Sunday 13 April 2008

Sign of the times


I'm itching to get our beautiful new welcome sign up (see above) but we've yet to get a day where we're free and it's not been snowing/raining/blowing a gale (and sometimes all three at once for good measure). It began life as dozens of bits of clay rolled out and pressed by visitors at last September's Open Day, and thanks to a bit of magic by Marv at Muddy Fingers, it's all come together rather nicely ;)

Sorry for the late posting this week - not sure where the time has gone, but it caught up with me and now it's 9pm on Sunday and I'm ready to start the working week all over again...

On Friday Peter and I set to work on clearing the bed which will have potatoes in it this year, taking out some rather sorry looking spinach and barely-there beetroot which had been overwintering in situ to cover the ground more than anything else. We also managed to sow sow leeks and donated beans.

I was heavy with cold on Saturday and not up to much, but I did make two flasks of coffee and herbal tea (coffee for any local volunteers as they would've baulked at the idea of a herbal tea, thinking I'm a bit of a strange hippy-type person to even consider such a thing) just in case Alan remembered his rash promise to help tidy the hawthorn hedge along the side of the new orchard.

Despite the rain, he did turn up right on time and despite my pleas of 'just half an hour then', we spent two hours 'trimming' the hedge. I say 'trim' but it had a much more severe haircut than I'd ever let a hairdresser do to my top growth, but I'm hoping it will thank us for it in the long run as it's been neglected for quite a while.

You may be thinking 'where's a picture of the newly-shorn hedge then?' and there's a good reason for it - I haven't taken one. This is a deliberate act, as there's bound to be people out there who will say we've done it all wrong, so I'll wait until the new growth makes it look a little less severe...

No comments: