Thursday 7 February 2008

Animal or artichoke?


At some point everyone has discovered a comical vegetable, but it took me a while to recognise there was a creature crying to get out of this Jerusalem artichoke. I've still not quite decided what it is - a few ideas are a pig (has the face for it but the tail's all wrong) or a big cat (with a pig's face). So maybe it's a new species altogether :)

I promise I won't post every odd shaped vegetable we get on this site, but I thought this one was worth sharing. Also, many people haven't actually seen a Jerusalem artichoke before, so there's two good reasons to put a photograph up on the blog.

Jerusalem artichokes are great plants and well worth growing if you haven't tried them before: they break up the soil even better than potatoes; grow into a fantastic wind-break with beautiful sunflowers on the top; and taste superb either simply roasted, mashed or in a soup with a bit of bacon. In fact, I think I might have some now for my (late) lunch!

No comments: