Friday 8 February 2008

Kite flying


Recently one of the red kites has been back over the garden, but today three were soaring over the allotments and the nearby field early this morning, which was a real treat. These magnificent birds have recently been re-introduced to the North East and one of their favourite hang-outs is nearby Barlow (this photograph is courtesy of the Northern Kites Project as I'm yet to get a decent shot!) To find out more about the kites, visit "Northern Kites Project"

Just me on the garden today and although it was dry, it was quite breezy, which made it feel pretty cold. I've weeded one of the high beds and taken out some of the soil, so we can try to repair the underneath as it's sagging again quite dramatically due to the sheer weight of the wet soil.

I've also tried to tidy up the garden a little, especially the side of the shed, as everything has been blown around due to the recent strong winds.

While slightly overwhelmed at the huge task ahead of me in terms of clearing and planting the land outside the allotment, I saw a lovely clump of snowdrops that had come up on part of the area we've already dug over. That tiny glimmer of hope for Spring gave me a bit of a much-needed boost.

No comments: