Friday 1 February 2008

Blown in on a blizzard


I didn't think I get that much done today to be honest, as the weather forecast was for high winds and snow which, as a rule, doesn't make for the most pleasant allotment conditions.

However, I managed to get one wheelbarrow-load of soil conditioner up to the site of the new mini-orchard, which the Boy's Club began preparing yesterday afternoon (despite the bitter winds) before it really started to snow properly.

I also sowed a few more sweet peas in the polytunnel, which is still standing despite swaying and lifting rather alarmingly, but has a gash in the side due to a support bar shifting free in the high winds and scraping down the side panel. Hopefully, a bit of UV-stable repair tape will do the trick and stop it from getting any worse.

Surprisingly, I wasn't the only one out in the wintry weather as Paul stopped by for a cup of tea and to tell me about his new job. I'm really pleased for him as he really deserves the break, but also really sorry to see him go as he's been a real asset to the garden over the past few months.

Alan also emerged from the blizzard to say hello and the photo above shows the view we had for the majority of our time in the allotment, chatting over a cup of tea in the relative comfort of the shed. I've got plans for making the shed a bit more welcoming - a seat in the corner and a lick of paint would make the world of difference.

No comments: