Saturday 2 August 2008

Chickens into composting


I came out of the polytunnel today to find the chickens had disappeared (if I'm around they tend to roam around the allotment as well, picking off the bugs and nibbling the odd plant). It only took a few minutes to track them down - in the compost bin, happily scratching around and balancing on the edges rather precariously.

They seemed a bit subdued yesterday night and off their food (I still maintain they knew one of the cockerel's had left their number and is now destined for Sunday roast) so it was nice to see them happily munching.

A brief thunderstorm gave me the chance to get some tidying done in the polytunnel, as the tomatoes had run away with me a bit and I'm bound to get told off sooner or later by one of the more diligent (and retired, which helps with that approach) allotment holders because I haven't snipped off all the side shoots.

Earlier in the week Maria and I transferred some compost from the bins onto the brassicas and also weaved in the willow dome, so that's looking much more under control.

We've still got strawberries, but the raspberries are just about over now, which is a shame. I think the heavy rains pretty much finished them off as they've all turned a bit mouldy all at once.

The strawberry bed is being extended, so I've dug up the nearby garlic so the runners can find their way across. We've got some good healthy bulbs, and I'm drying them a bit in the sun inbetween the showers, but I think they'll do most of their drying under cover at this rate.

No comments: