Thursday 7 August 2008

Free flowering


I'm not feeling very talkative today so I'll wait for another time when the muse takes me and leave pictures to speak for me instead. The lovely blue flower above shows that sometimes it's actually beneficial to be a little tardy and leave your lettuces to go to seed if this is the result.


I'm growing heritage varieties against non-heritage yellow tomatoes as part of a Garden Organic trial this year, and they seem to be doing pretty well - these are Yellow Submarine.


These more traditional red tomatoes are Diplom F1s.


I've never had much luck with aubergines before, but these are looking promising - they're big, healthy plants and have a fair amount of flowers, so fingers crossed I'll actually get some fruit this time.

Just by way of update, Maria and I finally made up the hot bed for the squashes (long overdue, so not expecting any wonders from those plants) - I think she thought I was joking when I said we were off to the nearby field to collect manure....and Peter and I cleared one of the high raised beds this morning, filled it with some extra compost, and sowed cauliflowers, cabbages, corn salad and chard for overwinter.

No comments: